It’s a new year! The holidays have ended, and the kids are back to school. it was time well spent relaxing with family, enjoying good food, and celebrating with friends.
For some of us, 2019 – Year of the Pig – is already off to a crackling start with a little extra rind around our midriff. To help stay healthy and get back in shape, we’ve gathered 5 effective tips for losing those extra pounds
1) The bicycle workout: 5 minutes each dayLie down on your back. Put your hands behind your head and raise your legs into the air so your thighs are parallel to your torso. Contract your abs, then bend your right knee up while simultaneously bringing your left elbow forward. Your knee and elbow should meet together above your body. Pause for one or two seconds, then return to the starting position and repeat with your left knee and right elbow. Our tip: The Bracoo SE22 Waist Trimmer during exercise stabilizes your lower back and helps lose excessive water around the waist.
2) Combine high-intensity and low-intensity trainingWe suggest breaking your aerobic routine into alternating high-intensity and low-intensity periods. For example, if you're running, run as fast as you can for two minutes, slow down to a normal speed for two minutes, and repeat back and forth for half an hour. If cycling or running is not your favourite sport you can sign up for Aerobic or Spinning classes at a gym for a little group motivation. Try to exercise twice a week for minimum of 30 minutes.
3) Eat lots of fibre and protein and cut down on carbs and sugarA good diet can get you the results you want as quickly as possible. Add fiber to every meal, boost your protein intake and lower your carbs and sugar consumption drastically. This will improve your fat-burning metabolism and specifically lower fat deposits from your ab region. Beans, seeds, quinoa, chickpeas, nuts, avocado and lentils are an excellent vegetarian protein source. Whole eggs and organic chicken are very good animal protein sources.
4) Get enough sleepWhen you don't get enough sleep, your body produces more of the hormone cortisol. This boosts your appetite, often leading you to overeat and gain more fat. However, cortisol also causes you to retain more fat and lose more muscle mass. Thus, aiming to get enough sleep every night for seven or eight hours can help you maintain a trim, toned torso.
5) Drink lots of waterDrinking a glass of water before each meal can prevent overeating. Water helps the kidneys to filter toxins and waste while retaining essential nutrients and electrolytes. Only with water can the body properly metabolize stored fat or carbohydrates. Being hydrated reduces the risk of muscle cramps and fatigue.
What are your health resolutions for 2019? Feel free to share some with us in the comments below.